cuz life was boring before.
Since i haven't got time to tell everyone why this week has been hell, I'm going to write it here, and you all can read it if you please.
1. LittleE and I have the Worst Cold Ever. Little children don't have sinuses yet (which is why their voices are not as resonant - apparently) and is also why they are Factories of Explosive Snot. He's not terribly miserable, mostly just messy. I on the other hand, have been weaving unsteadily each afternoon in the hospital, where i've been double-gowned and masked while seeing patients. It's hard to ask the right questions in a second language while not being able to even hear the answer and concentrating on the boogers that i'd really like to wipe if it weren't for the mask. I keep leaving the room to blow my nose. grump.
2. B has moved in with us for an indeterminate length of time.
People at school have often asked if we are going to have another kid. I have just laughed and said that this is *Not A Good Time*. (like any time is good, but whatever). So, in a brilliant flash of "how to flunk out of medical school" we take in an 11 year old in crisis. Excellent planning MamaE.
I spent 2 hours last night watching her peel the couch cover off with her teeth, throw anything she could grab, and tell me that I was the meanest person on earth. All at top volume while jumping. I am thrilled to report however, that the glass door which i have been worried about since we put her bed in there is unharmed. Somehow, nothing got irreparably damaged. I was twice on the verge of calling 911, but i'm glad that i didn't. Amazingly, most of my CPI training came back to me (supportive stance, reflective listening, remove the targets, run with confidence) She eventually decided that she was not going to starve herself to death, joined us for supper, and then we rented a movie.
We both took her to school this morning, and met the administrators. We all rapidly checked each other out with a mutual unspoken "You'd better be taking good care of this kid who we care about very much". That left me with a good feeling. They really work to make things possible for her, and they like her.
So, now i'm back at the hospital. Not studying, and one day farther behind than i was yesterday.
1. LittleE and I have the Worst Cold Ever. Little children don't have sinuses yet (which is why their voices are not as resonant - apparently) and is also why they are Factories of Explosive Snot. He's not terribly miserable, mostly just messy. I on the other hand, have been weaving unsteadily each afternoon in the hospital, where i've been double-gowned and masked while seeing patients. It's hard to ask the right questions in a second language while not being able to even hear the answer and concentrating on the boogers that i'd really like to wipe if it weren't for the mask. I keep leaving the room to blow my nose. grump.
2. B has moved in with us for an indeterminate length of time.
People at school have often asked if we are going to have another kid. I have just laughed and said that this is *Not A Good Time*. (like any time is good, but whatever). So, in a brilliant flash of "how to flunk out of medical school" we take in an 11 year old in crisis. Excellent planning MamaE.
I spent 2 hours last night watching her peel the couch cover off with her teeth, throw anything she could grab, and tell me that I was the meanest person on earth. All at top volume while jumping. I am thrilled to report however, that the glass door which i have been worried about since we put her bed in there is unharmed. Somehow, nothing got irreparably damaged. I was twice on the verge of calling 911, but i'm glad that i didn't. Amazingly, most of my CPI training came back to me (supportive stance, reflective listening, remove the targets, run with confidence) She eventually decided that she was not going to starve herself to death, joined us for supper, and then we rented a movie.
We both took her to school this morning, and met the administrators. We all rapidly checked each other out with a mutual unspoken "You'd better be taking good care of this kid who we care about very much". That left me with a good feeling. They really work to make things possible for her, and they like her.
So, now i'm back at the hospital. Not studying, and one day farther behind than i was yesterday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home